2021 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Model Review with Prices, Photos, & Specs
- Starting at $110,850 MSRP*
- Standard 3.0L inline-6 turbo engine (429 hp and 384 lb-ft of torque) or available 4.0L V-8 turbo engine (496 hp and 516 lb-ft of torque) with 9G-TRONIC 9-Speed automatic transmission
- EQ Boost mode that adds an additional 21 hp and 184 lb-ft of torque for short periods
- Second-generation Mercedes-Benz User Experience (MBUX) with Voice Control multimedia system based on Artificial Intelligence
- Standard 4MATIC® all-wheel drive system
- Smartphone Integration with Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™
- New-generation multifunction steering wheel with capacitive touch control buttons and hands-off recognition for driver assistance features
- Standard Blind Spot Assist, Active Brake Assist, and ATTENTION ASSIST®
- 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster, touchscreen multimedia display, and heads-up display (HUD) with augmented reality (AR) content
About the Mercedes-Benz S-Class
The Mercedes-Benz S-Class is the best-selling luxury sedan in the world. It has remained the gold standard of luxury and innovation for generations, and for good reason – Mercedes-Benz engineers have worked ceaselessly to re-imagine the concept of what luxury actually means in an automobile. For the 2021 S-Class, that means a heightened focus on safety and efficiency, without sacrificing performance or comfort. Speaking of performance, you’ll find a powerful 3.0 liter inline-6 turbo engine producing 429 horsepower in the entry-level S 500 4MATIC®. The S 580 4MATIC® ups the ante to a 4.0 liter twin turbo V-8 generating 496 horsepower.
Cutting-edge developments in vehicle technology often premiere in the S-Class before trickling down to other models. The all-new 2021 S-Class is no different, introducing the second generation of Mercedes-Benz User Experience (MBUX) with voice control that naturally recognizes spoken instructions in 30 different languages. This multimedia system is based on artificial intelligence, and is the most sophisticated system of its type currently in use. When you drive a Mercedes-Benz S-Class, you sacrifice nothing.
What the Critics Say
Those of us who still enjoy the art and science of driving will rejoice in the fact that while the new S-Class is a big, quiet, lavishly equipped luxury limousine, its chassis has the deep capability that is the hallmark of all great Mercedes-Benz sedans. Left to its own devices, it will effortlessly cosset and comfort the average driver, yet when pushed it digs deep to deliver the enthusiast remarkably consistent levels of response, grip, and balance.” — Motor Trend
We know the sedan will continue to provide limousine-like accommodations for all passengers, specifically those riding in the back. The new model’s rear-seat area offers slightly increased headroom and legroom, and it can also be equipped with power-adjustable reclining seats that have massage functions and extensive heating elements.” — Car and Driver
Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan Features
As listed above, you have two excellent engine choices in the all-new 2021 Mercedes-Benz S-Class. The standard engine is a turbocharged 3.0 liter inline six, producing 429 horsepower and 384 lb-ft of torque. There’s also an available twin turbo 4.0L V-8 making 496 horsepower and 516 lb-ft of torque. Both utilize the Mercedes-Benz 9G-TRONIC 9-speed automatic transmission, and both engines include an EQ Boost mode that adds an additional 21 horsepower and 184 lb-ft of torque for short periods. Of course, all of that power has to get to the ground somehow. Thanks to 4MATIC® intelligent all-wheel-drive with advanced stability control, that’s never a concern. AIRMATIC® air suspension utilizes continuously adjustable damping to ensure a supremely comfortable ride, as well as precise handling and control. Optional rear-axle steering makes quick work of tight turns.
Creating a comfortable, airy “lounge” feel for the interior of the 2021 S-Class was of utmost importance to the designers at Mercedes-Benz. Ergonomics and safety were given plenty of attention, as well as aesthetics. Drivers can control the 250 LED active ambient lighting system on their MBUX digital dashboard, which uses special haptic glass to communicate with the user. Up to five on-board screens can be utilized by the driver to read vehicle information and alter settings to suit your personal taste. In addition, updates for many systems are carried out over-the-air (OTA), which means that you won’t have to visit our service department to get the newest software updates. The 2021 Mercedes-Benz S-Class is the ideal blend of digital design and analog warmth.
Innovative Safety & Driver Assistance
The all-new 2021 Mercedes-Benz S-Class includes several new features designed to make one of the safest cars on the road even safer. For the first time, you can order your S-Class with rear airbags, and the PRESAFE® Impulse Side system utilizes the E-ACTIVE BODY CONTROL suspension to raise the vehicle body up to three inches just before a side impact. This deflects the crash forces to the strongest part of the car, and away from passengers. While the newest generation of driver assistance technology brings us ever closer to a fully autonomous future, ATTENTION ASSIST® monitors your head and eyelids to ensure that you’re alert and ready to drive, with those same systems prepared to spring into action at a moment’s notice. Furthermore, the aluminum intensive body shell construction is stronger than the previous generation for additional protection.
Trims & Specs
S 500 4MATIC® Sedan
- Starting at $110,850 MSRP*
- 3.0L inline-6 turbo engine (429 hp and 384 lb-ft of torque)
- Active multicontour front seats with massage, ventilation, and rapid-heating functions
- 64-color active LED ambient lighting
- Surround View System
- Power rear-side window sunshades
S 580 4MATIC® Sedan
- Starting at $117,350 MSRP*
- 4.0L V-8 turbo engine (496 hp and 516 lb-ft of torque)
- Air Balance cabin-air purification and cabin fragrance systems
- Illuminated front door sills
- 19-inch twin 10-spoke alloy wheels
- Nappa leather upholstery with Slate Poplar wood trim
*Base MSRP excludes transportation and handling charges, destination charges, taxes, title, registration, preparation and documentary fees, tags, labor and installation charges, insurance, and optional equipment, products, packages and accessories. Actual vehicle price may vary by Dealer.
*Bluetooth is a registered mark Bluetooth SIG, Inc.