2021 Mercedes-Benz GLE Model Review with Prices, Photos, & Specs
- Starting at $54,750 MSRP*
- Standard 2.0L Inline-4 Turbo (255 horsepower and 273 lb-ft of torque), available 3.0L Inline-6 Turbo with EQ Boost (362 horsepower and 369 lb-ft of torque) or optional 4.0L V8 biturbo engine with EQ Boost (483 horsepower and 516 lb-ft of torque)
- 9G-TRONIC 9-speed automatic transmission on all GLE models
- Rear-Wheel Drive or optional 4MATIC® fully-variable All-Wheel Drive
- Revolutionary E-ACTIVE BODY CONTROL system — the world’s most intelligent SUV suspension developed by Mercedes-Benz
- Standard MBUX with Voice Control, dual-12.3-inch digital instrument cluster, and 12.3-inch touchscreen multimedia displays
- Available enlarged panoramic sliding sunroof with a 50% larger viewing area
- MBUX Interior Assistant with hand and arm movement recognition
About the Mercedes-Benz GLE
After creating its class 20 years ago, the Mercedes-Benz GLE SUV continues to set the standard for luxury SUVs from every angle of its dynamic design. At the front, distinctive LED Daytime Running Lamps feature glowing arcs that slope elegantly into the sculpted profile of the GLE. Large wheel designs ranging from 19 to 22 inches in size are housed in its prominent wheel arches. Powertrain choices include a standard 255-horsepower 2.0L Inline-4 Turbo, available 362-horsepower 3.0L Inline-6 Turbo with EQ Boost, or the range-topping 4.0L biturbo V8 with EQ Boost producing an impressive 483 horsepower. The world’s most intelligent SUV suspension developed by Mercedes-Benz, the E-ACTIVE BODY CONTROL system redefines on-road handling and comfort. Inside, both drivers and passengers will appreciate a luxurious interior that’s packed with cutting-edge technology and driver-assistive features. Industry-leading safety systems help ensure that you’ll be protected from the unexpected behind the wheel of the Mercedes-Benz GLE SUV.
What the Critics Say
To say the new GLE is good is akin to saying the Burj Khalifa is tall. It’s a true statement, but you’re leaving out most of the story. The W167 GLE is in fact somewhere between exceptional and superlative. A real heavyweight in the midsize class.” — MotorTrend
Mercedes-Benz’s latest GLE-class marries a luxurious cabin and a potent powertrain in a ruggedly handsome package. It’s the latest in a long line of luxurious off-roaders that started back in the late 1990s with the introduction of the M-class and is a huge improvement versus the outgoing generation.” — Car and Driver
What’s New for 2021
Following a complete refresh last year, the GLE SUV is back for 2021 to build on its successful reputation. Features now included as standard on all GLE SUV trims include Ambient Lighting, Wireless Charging, SiriusXM Satellite Radio, and Enhanced Alarm System with Parking Damage Detection. GLE 350 and GLE 450 models are now offered with new 19-inch Multispoke wheel options and upholstery combinations. Lastly, the Head-Up Display and MBUX Interior Assistant now available as standalone options.
A completely redesigned interior features two 12.3-inch main screens including a center infotainment display and the main instrument readout in front of the driver. Other new features include Active Stop-and-Go Assist, fully-variable 4MATIC® all-wheel drive, and MBUX with Voice Control.
Mercedes-Benz GLE SUV Features
Sophisticated Style & Performance
Hit the road with confidence with sleek yet muscular styling and athletic stance of the Mercedes-Benz GLE. Riding on a lengthened wheelbase that’s 3.1-inches longer than the prior generation, the GLE is now available with optional third-row seating. Its standard 2.0L Inline-4 Turbo produces 255 horsepower and 273 lb-ft of torque. Step up to the GLE 450 4MATIC® and you’ll receive a potent 3.0L Inline-6 Turbo with EQ Boost that gives you 362 horsepower and 369 lb-ft of torque. For the ultimate in performance, GLE 580 4MATIC® models are powered by a muscular 4.0L V8 biturbo engine with EQ Boost producing 483 horsepower and 516 lb-ft of torque.
Improved ride comfort and agility plus completely new functions such as free-driving mode are provided by the optional E-ACTIVE BODY CONTROL suspension. E-ACTIVE BODY CONTROL, designed in-house by Mercedes-Benz, features a 48V operating voltage and is optionally available for engine variants with the 48V system. Individual wheel actuation is another new function for off-road driving, letting your GLE tread where other luxury SUVs fear to venture.
Luxuriously Versatile Interior
Offering space to stretch out your imagination or to pack it all in, the interior of the Mercedes-Benz GLE SUV has room to help create new possibilities. A world first in the SUV segment, second-row seating is available with six fully electric adjustments. The prominent, raised center console creates a distinctive contrast with the free-floating appearance of the dashboard. Thanks to the EASY-ENTRY® function of the fully electrically adjustable second seat row, the two rearmost passengers can conveniently access their seats. The GLE is fitted with the latest generation of the multimedia system MBUX – Mercedes-Benz User Experience. This innovative system includes twin 12.3-inch screens as standard, which are arranged in-line with each other for an impressive widescreen look.
Technology & Safety Innovations
With the Instrument Cluster Display and the multimedia display, drivers can select from Classic, Sport, Progressive, and Understated moods to personalize the feel of the interior. The optional MBUX Interior Assistant also allows intuitive, natural operation of different comfort and MBUX functions through movement recognition. Intelligent Voice Control has also been improved with Natural Langauge Understanding, and is activated by the keyword “Hey Mercedes”.
Groundbreaking safety technologies help make the GLE one of the safest luxury SUVs available in today’s marketplace. The latest generation of Mercedes-Benz driver assistance systems gives cooperative support to the driver. These include Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC®, Active Brake Assist with Cross-Traffic Function, and Active Stop-and-Go Assist. To recognize traffic jams, Active Stop-and-Go Assist evaluates the road category, speed, and distances from vehicles traveling ahead and in adjacent lanes.
Trims & Specs
GLE 350 SUV (4MATIC® Available)
- Starting at $54,750 MSRP*
- 2.0L Inline-4 Turbo (255 horsepower and 273 lb-ft of torque) with 9G-TRONIC 9-speed automatic transmission
- Mercedes-Benz User Experience (MBUX)
- Power heated front seats with driver-seat memory functions
- KEYLESS-GO and Remote Start via Mercedes me Mobile App
- MB Navigation with no-charge navigation map updates for 3 years
GLE 450 4MATIC® SUV
- Starting at $61,150 MSRP*
- 3.0L Inline-6 Turbo with EQ Boost and ECO-START®/STOP system (362 horsepower and 369 lb-ft of torque)
- Power tilt/sliding sunroof
- Optional Multicontour front seats with massage
- Available Burmester High-End 3D Surround Sound system
- Active Brake Assist, Active Parking Assist, and ATTENTION ASSIST®
GLE 580 4MATIC®
- Starting at $77,600 MSRP*
- 4.0L V8 biturbo engine with EQ Boost (483 horsepower and 516 lb-ft of torque)
- AIRMATIC suspension
- Sport Exhaust System and Sport Brake System
- Voice Control with Natural Language Understanding
- Power liftgate
*Base MSRP excludes transportation and handling charges, destination charges, taxes, title, registration, preparation and documentary fees, tags, labor and installation charges, insurance, and optional equipment, products, packages and accessories. Actual vehicle price may vary by Dealer.